Education: PhD, Economics, Cornell University; SM, SB, Mechanical Engineering, MIT.
My Research Interests: Economic Development, International Trade, Retail as a Trade Platform, Technology Change, Developing Country Labor Markets, Immigration, Corruption, Applied Theory, Applied Microeconomics
Courses I've Taught: Economic Development (U,G), International Economics, Economics of Information, Game Theory, Price Theory
Selected Research Papers: (see my C.V. for a complete list)
- Regulatory Versus Natural Endogenous Sunk Costs: Observational Equivalence In Rationalizing Lower Bounds On Industry Concentration (with David VanHoose).
- Wal-Mart as Catalyst to U.S.-China Trade (with Emek Basker).
- Measuring State-Created Immigration Climate, (with Huyen Pham), in How to Measure Immigration Policies?, Migration and Citizenship Newsletter of the American Political Science Association, 2013.
- Measuring the Climate for Immigrants: A State-by-State Analysis (with Huyen Pham), in Strange Neighbors: The Role of States in Immigration Policy, Gabriel Jack Chin and Carissa Hessick (eds.) New York University Press, 2013.
- Supersize It: The Growth of Chains and the Rise of the 'Big Box' Retail Store (with Emek Basker and Shawn Klimek), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 21, no. 3, Fall 2012, pp.541-82.
- The Economic Impact of Subfederal Immigration Regulation: An Empirical Analysis (with Huyen Pham), Cardozo Law Review, vol. 32, no. 2, November 2010, pp. 485-518.
- reprinted in Immigration and Nationality Law Review, vol. 31, 2012.
- Imports 'Я' Us: Retail Chains as Platforms for Developing-Country Imports (with Emek Basker), American Economic Review (Papers and Proceedings), vol. 100, no. 2, May 2010, pp. 414-18. [Working Paper Version] [data]
- Dutch Disease in the Labor Market: Women's Work and Industrialization, Review of Development Economics, vol. 13, no. 4, November 2009, pp. 560-75.
- High Corruption Income in Ming and Qing China, (with Shawn Ni), Journal of Development Economics, vol. 81, December 2006, pp. 316-36.
- Emulative Development through Trade Expansions: East Asian Evidence, (with Henry Y. Wan Jr.), in International Trade Policy and the Pacific Rim, John Piggott and Alan Woodland (eds.), Macmillan Press, 1999, pp.348-66.
- The Economics of Child Labor, (with Kaushik Basu), American Economic Review, vol. 88, no. 3, June 1998, pp. 412-27.
- Interpreting East Asian Growth, (with Henry Y. Wan Jr.), in Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade, Bjarne Jensen and Kar-yiu Wong (eds.), University of Michigan Press, 1997, pp. 265-86.
- A Methodology for Manufacturing Process Signature Analysis, (with Steven D. Eppinger and Christopher Huber), Journal of Manufacturing Systems, vol. 14, no. 1, 1995, pp. 20-34.
- Child Labor: Southeast Asia, The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern World, New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Vietnamese Tariff Doesn't Add Up, (with Huyen Pham) Op-Ed, Mobile Register, July 20, 2003.
- No Such Thing As Free Trade, (with Huyen Pham) Op-Ed, Chicago Tribune, June 20, 2003. [Vietnamese translation].
- The Fishy Business on Vietnamese Trade, (with Huyen Pham) Op-Ed, San Diego Union-Tribune, Feb. 25, 2003.
- Catfish Ruling: Fishy Business, (with Huyen Pham) Op-Ed, Asia Times, Feb. 22, 2003. [Vietnamese translation].